Floor Separation Units.

The term ‘separating floor’ is generally used to describe a floor designed to restrict the passage of sound between the spaces above and below. It is most commonly used in relation to residential buildings. In this context, a ‘separating wall’ is one that separates adjoining residential rooms or properties.

Construction clients may have particular acoustic requirements that should be recorded in the project brief, however, the legal requirement for building construction to resist the passage of sound is set out in part of the building regulations, which describes requirements for:

Dwelling-houses, flats and rooms for residential purposes.

The common internal parts of buildings containing flats or rooms for residential purposes which give access to the flat or room.


The requirements of this is that the building regulations can be satisfied by following the guidance in Approved by the appropriate groups: Resistance to the passage of sound.

Whilst not exhaustive, we provide a description of separating floor types as:

Floor type 1: Concrete base with ceiling and soft floor covering.

Floor type 2: Concrete base with ceiling and floating floor.

Floor type 2: Floating floor.

Floor type 3: Timber frame base with ceiling and platform floor.

Three ceiling types are also described:

A: Independent ceiling with absorbent material.

B: Plasterboard on proprietary resilient bars with absorbent material.

C: Plasterboard on timber battens or proprietary resilient channels with absorbent material.

In addition, Finishing Systems offers a large selection of media for vibratory mass finishing applications that will improve the results of your processes. These include vibratory polishing media for aluminium and other vibratory tumbler polishing products.

Contact us today for more information on our tumblers!